Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chapter 3: Weblogs-Getting Started!

It seems simple, yet it's not always the case-teachers who expect their students to be able to do something should do it themselves. I try to apply this to myself as much as possible, especially in terms of grammar, language use, work load, behavioral expectations, etc. It wasn't automatic for me to feel this way about blogging.
I see Richardson's point that blogging makes writing a daily part of our lives, and that it changes the way that we read and absorb information. In order to show students that it is important, and that there is a specific way to use it to meet our purposes, we must blog as well.
Richardson says that when "the first person responds to something you've written: that's when you'll truly start to understand the power of the Read/Write web." I can see how that will really change our perspective on the purpose and potential of publishing to the web.
I think that Richardson's advice to use our blogs first just to communicate information to our students is a manageable first step. It will get me used to posting information to a blog, but won't be overwhelming. I like the idea of then posting questions for students to respond to. That would be a nice way for students to get used to communicating through blogging. I also see the need for commenting back to students to create community and show that their thoughts are valued. I think this is the most realistic way for me to use blogging in my classroom at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment