Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chapter 6: The Social Web-Learning Together

I understand the point Richardson is trying to make by emphasizing the power of being able to share our ideas and resources with a community. It makes sense to share your ideas with others because you know you'll get much more in return. However, since I don't currently do much research online, this isn't just a small shift for me. It's a shift in terms of how I see the internet and its purpose.
It's never crossed my mind to think of Twitter as an educational resource. Everyone I know who uses it does so to stalk celebrities. I now see that it could be a good way to network and share ideas with a community. I just don't know if I am ready for that step.
The social bookmarking services seem to fit my needs a little better. I like that you can save links, tag them, and even annotate them with Delicious. It would be good to be able to connect with what others find relevant in their reading as well. The ability to see how or why others find links interesting and relevant would be very valuable. I also like the ability to share your bookmark with a specific group that you know would find it pertinent. I think Richardson puts it very well when he says, "It's like someone else doing research for you."
In order to use it in the classroom, I would definitely have my students subscribe to a feed that I create. They could also do their own research and archive and annotate their sources. I also like the idea of adding a Diigo feed to my wiki. For certain units of study that require research and background information, social bookmarking could be a great tool. I am still having trouble, however, seeing how these social tools can be applied on a regular basis to World Language students at this level.

No comments:

Post a Comment