Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chapter 7: Fun with Flickr-Creating, Publishing, and Using Images Online

Until reading this chapter, I didn't really know what Flickr was, let alone what it can offer in terms of teaching and learning. I knew it was a website where you could upload photos and share them, but I didn't see the use for it since I do that through Facebook. The ability to annotate the pictures changes a lot, as well as the ability to create communities around images on similar topics. I love the idea of creating an RSS feed so that new pictures on a topic you're studying will come to you. I think parents and administrators would love to see snapshots of what goes on in the classroom, and see samples of student work.
Flickr allows you to tag your photos and connect your photos with those of others. It would be great to create presentations, virtual field trips, or teach geography through the use of Google Earth with my World Language students. A great assignment for students would be to ask them to annotate a complex photo, and have others discuss the photo. We could subscribe to a tag and get any photos people publish with those keywords in our feed. My students could possibly connect with students who speak the target language. I would also publish the photos to the class wiki, maybe even through an RSS feed. I like the ideas of having students create magazine covers, movie posters, or re-designing photos. I could also use Skitch to connect literature to the photos and present them to the class. I can now see how Flickr could be a great resource in my classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the same as you Leigh. I just thought it was like Shutterfly without all of the cool options. I can't believe how many cool things are out there!

    ReplyDelete