Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chapter 8: Podcasting, Video and Screencasting, and Live Streaming-Multimedia Publishing for the Masses

Podcasts are another tool I had only a vague understanding of. I now see the advantages of listening and subscribing to podcasts that interest me, and would be helpful in teaching my students. As someone who doesn't have a long commute to work, I don't think that daily updates to my iPod would be that helpful. I do think that I would give listening to podcasts a try, though. I would begin by visiting the Education Podcast Network to get some ideas for classroom use for my content area and grade level.
Creating podcasts is a whole new adventure. I do see the benefits of recording a class lecture for students who are absent, or need to hear the information more than once. I could also record pronunciation practice we do in class, or verb conjugation practice. I think some students would enjoy being able to listen again and practice in private, and also to have an archive of past lessons. The idea of having native speakers narrate a story that students then have to respond to in the target language is great. It would be a great way to assess their aural comprehension and to give them practice listening to real native speakers.
I have given my students the option of creating videos in the past. I like the idea of getting a mic extension cord so they aren't limited by proximity to the camera. I think students would love creating and editing videos. At this point, though, I don't think I'm ready to buy an expensive camera for student use.
I had no idea what screen casting was. This seems like another great tool to supplement instruction. It would be great if students could view them at home. Or, after they've created projects using all of these web tools, they could create screencasts displaying and explaining their work.
Live streaming is still scary for me. I might be able to get on board with podcasting, but streaming live would be hard. If I were to use it, a feature that I like is the chat that allows the presenter to respond to comments received as text on screen through voice. At this point, I don't see a use for me with live streaming that couldn't be met by podcasting. I think I need the ability to edit, pause, and clean up what I'm putting out there for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you could have a lot of fun with Microphones in your classes. We attended a class today where two teachers were demonstrating how they use a microphone in their classes. One thing is that it is an attention getter if you speak into the microphone. I could just picture you speaking into it in a foreign language. You could have the kids talk in one to give a broadcast in another language. The presenters said you could buy one at Walmart for $10. I am thinking of getting one for my class. It would also be good for those students who speak softly.

    ReplyDelete